[Xen-devel] Xen + NV-CUDA: a new possible way?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: OneSoul <onesoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 03:47:35 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 19:49:23 -0700

Hello all!

I'm a Xen user and I'm very satisfied by its power features.

Recently, reading some technical articles over internet, I have discoverd the big potentialities of the NV-CUDA framework in relation to the scientific and graphic computing that takes strong advantage from the most recent GPUs. Someone has used it for password recovery, realtime rendering, etc, with great results.

It would be possible to use this technology in the Xen project to achieve better performance? (NOT for VGA paravirtualization...) It could be a significative step for the develop in virtualization technology?

Someone, in experimental way, has (re)wrote, for example, the md-raid kernel modules using the CUDA framework to accelerate some features... and it seems that works fine.
Why not for Xen, or related technologies, including dynamic translation?
If yes, could be a good manner to achieve more performance or a way to drammatically off-load the CPU taking advantage from the impressive parallel computing capabilities of GPUs. Think at xen-kernel that execute separetly some kinds of task between CPU and GPU, like a super-cluster that separates the pure computing from the I/O computing.

What do you think about this draft idea?

Any feedback is welcome...