Re: [Xen-devel] Xen dom0 Kernel Patches

  Hi,

My question is this, given that the openSUSE patches seem to work
quite well would it really be so much work to at least update the
Xensource kernel to 2.6.29 or .30? I believe openSUSE use a semi
automated process for forward porting but however they do it the
results are quite good,

Jan Beulich does it. I doubt it is automated process. There are tools like quilt though which help maintaining and rebasing patch queues. Now with the x86 merge being mostly done rebasing the patches to a newer kernel is probably easier again.

It seems to me that a huge amount of effort is being duplicated in the
forward porting when a combined effort is bound to produce better
results, if multiple distro's can find the resources to do it surely
working together with Xensource would be less effort for everybody.

There is no duplicated effort. Everybody with xen patches against recent kernels just uses the opensuse patches.

I understand that the kernel is a moving target and 2.6.29 will soon
be out of date, but I don't think that justifies simply not providing
a newer one because pv_ops will be in mainline "any time soon", it
really feel that it is going to take a long time before that happens,
if at all.

Even with the bits not being merged into mainline you can still pull jeremies git tree to get a pv_ops based kernel with dom0 support.

cheers,
  Gerd