[Xen-devel] Re: Distro kernel and 'virtualization server' vs. 'server that sometimes runs virtual instances' rant

  • To: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Michael David Crawford <mdc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 18:10:52 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 29 May 2009 18:11:27 -0700

Tim Post wrote:
What, exactly is cowboy hackery? A dom-0 that might be a little slower
if you boot it without Xen?

I unpacked the source RPM to some kernel, I don't recall if it was CentOS' or Fedora's, but there were something like a hundred patches applied to the original kernel.org sources.

I don't doubt that many of those were a good idea, but it would have been a great deal of work simply to determine which ones were both important and properly implemented.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdc@xxxxxxxxx

   prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

      Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen