Re: [Xen-devel] Grub2 on Xen PV

Hello,

Ferenc Wagner, le Fri 15 May 2009 16:57:01 +0200, a écrit :
> Let me start a new thread for this.  I contacted the Grub people, and
> they seem more interested in creating a native Xen port of Grub than
> piggybacking the Mini-OS environment

We actually had discussed a bit about that at XenSource.  If they have
the will to maintain it then it's all the best I guess.

> usin kexec as I tried.

They can reuse my kexec code.

> But they need some documentation on the Xen "firmware" to assess the
> task at least.  What could be given to them apart from hvc_xen.c and
> xen-blkfront.c in the Linux sources? blkif-drivers-explained.txt?
> After a second thought, the mini-os console.c and blkfront.c are
> probably a better choice.

I'd rather provide them the MiniOS code which is more simple, yes. But
instead of giving them only a few files, show them the whole code, as
it's not really just a "firmware".

> > For a start, Grub has a Coreboot port, which is ELF, but the Xen 3.2
> > domain builder refuses to load it saying:
> >
> > xc_dom_parse_elf_kernel: ELF image has no shstrtab
>
> I guess it tries to look up the Xen notes section, but there are no
> section headers in the Grub binary, only program headers.

Yes, there's all the magic stuff that needs to be included, see
arch/x86/x86_32.S

Samuel