Re: [Xen-devel] How to build my own Linux tarball?

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 08:13:59AM -0700, Michael David Crawford wrote:
> I'm trying to build my own version of the Linux Dom0 kernel.  I started
> with the linux-2.6.18-xen-3.3.0 tarball, then made some edits, then
> rolled up my sources into a .tar.bz2.
>
> According to the Wiki I should be able to build using *my* version of
> the sources with the following commands:
>
> $ export XEN_LINUX_SOURCE=tarball
> $ make world
>
> but no matter what I try, I can't get it to build my source.  Sometimes
> it wants to download the kernel.org tarball, and sometimes the build
> just fails, depending on what I try.
>
> I have Googled from horizon to horizon, but have not found any insight.
>
> If the above commands are expected to work, where exactly should my
> tarball be placed in relation to the xen-3.3.1 directory?
>
> Does my Linux tarball have to have a particular name?

Hi Mike,

looking at the code, it seems to me that the tarball target
is not designed to handle the case where the tarball already
exists locally. As a work-around, could unpack the kernel manually.
Note that this won't work if you run make world, as it runs
make kclean, which cleans the kernel directory before building:

# cd xen-3.3.1
# make clean kdelete
# tar -zxf ../../xen-3.3.0/linux-2.6.18-xen-3.3.0.tar.gz
# mv linux-2.6.18-xen-3.3.0 linux-2.6.18
# touch linux-2.6.18/.valid-src
# make XEN_LINUX_SOURCE=tarball dist

Or you could build the kernel(s) separately,
possibly outside of the xen-3.3.1 tree.