Re: [Xen-devel] xm create can't find /proc/xen/balloon

  • To: Michael David Crawford <mdc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dulloor <dulloor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 09:00:48 -0400
  • Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 11 May 2009 06:01:25 -0700

Have you mounted xenfs ?

-dulloor

On May 11, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Michael David Crawford <mdc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have the latest git sources of xen, ioemu and linux. I just now did a "git pull" in each just to be sure.

When I do an "xm create" I get:

  Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/proc/xen/balloon'

Searching the list archives told me that this is most commonly caused by not having enough memory available for the DomU, but I have fixed that.

I'm pretty sure the problem is that the paravirt_ops Linux kernel puts its balloon in sysfs and not procfs. So I applied Jeremy's patch found here:

 http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-11/msg00358.html

... then rebuilt and rebooted.  But I still get the message.

However, that patch changes a file in xend's sources.

Does xm need a similar patch - or should xm be looking at that same python module in xend's directory? I don't know the codebase well enough to figure it out yet, though I'll be investigating while I await your responses.

Thanks for your help,

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdc@xxxxxxxxx

  prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

     Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen