Re: [Xen-devel] Regression in PCI pass-through from qemu-xen changeset "Fix hvm guest cirrus_vga hvm s3 resume failure"

On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 11:31:45AM +1000, Simon Horman wrote:
> On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 03:57:49PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Simon Horman writes ("[Xen-devel] Regression in PCI pass-through from
> > qemu-xen changeset "Fix hvm guest cirrus_vga hvm s3 resume failure""):
> > > Apologies if this has been reported elsewhere.
> >
> > Not that I've seen.
> >
> > > Changeset "Fix hvm guest cirrus_vga hvm s3 resume failure"
> > > (08251d35eafe5bafff42d226ccd56277014b16e9) in qemu-xen-unstable.git
> > > appears to cause a regression. This changeset was applied
> > > between the xen-3.4.0-rc2 and xen-3.4.0-rc3 tags of qemu-xen-unstable.git.
> >
> > You've definitely isolated it to this changeset ?
> >
> > The symptoms you describe are very odd and don't seem to correspond
> > meaningfully to anything in the changeset.  The changeset does two
> > things:
> >
> >  * Removes a memset to 0xff of the VGA screen memory.
> >  * Moves forward vga_bios_init which just initialises a bunch
> >    of the cirrus_vga registers, to put it before graphic_console_init.
>
> Hi Ian,
>
> you are right, that does seem somewhat odd. I will re-run my tests.

Sorry, there was an out-by-one error in my bug report.  This revision is
the last good chengset.  It is the following changeset "passthrough: Fix
older kernel assigned device resume failure problem"
(dbb8aafa702b8b4f5568e08641d98471fd04e0f8) where I see the problem.

I'll repost with the description of the problem and a fresh CC list.

--
Simon Horman
  VA Linux Systems Japan K.K. Satellite Lab in Sydney, Australia