Re: [Xen-devel] xen.git branch reorg / crash with 2.6.30-rc3 pv_ops dom0

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:25:24AM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

> > There was some unification work in this area around the
> >beginning of March although I'm pretty such I've had it work much more
> >recently. (I guess it might not have been merged into a visible branch
> >until more recently, it's a bit hard to tell with git but I don't think
> >that's what happened).
>
> Yeah, I think it has been working properly for some since then, though I
> think Pasi has been reporting problems since 32-bit dom0 first booted.

Yep, I've had problems from the beginning..

dom0/hackery was working pretty OK for me before it was removed..
I could run and install new PV guests etc.

> My symptoms are a bit all over the place.  For a while I was just seeing
> writes-to-RO pages, but since I added some debugging to try and work out
> where that was happening, I'm now seeing more major pagetable corruption
> (like instruction fetches failing because of reserved bits being set in
> the pagetable...).  So something is stomping pagetable, and I think its
> some page being freed.
>
> I think these are somewhat similar to Pasi's symptoms which he said that
> disabling HIGHPTE fixed.   I see problems independent of the HIGHPTE
> setting.

CONFIG_HIGHPTE=n fixed my "dom0 kernel crashes while compiling kernel source in
dom0" test..
could be the problem still happens with some other tests though..

> I have best success in causing crashes when scp'ing a 8GB file onto my
> XFS /home filesystem.  XFS does quite a lot of vmapping, so that may
> exacerbate the problem.

I could try scp aswell..

> I also realized that my Xen doesn't have debug=y set, so I'm probably
> missing some information.

Hmm, good point. I don't have debug=y either..

-- Pasi