Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [GIT PULL] Xen for 2.6.30 #2

* William Pitcock <nenolod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,

> > > Yes, I understand that.  Unlike the pvops stuff, the dom0 changes
> > > are largely all init-time and setup, and so have no performance
> > > impact.
> >
> > Yes, but once dom0 goes in your incentive to fix the native
> > kernel performance drain we accumulated along the years of
> > paravirt layers will be strongly weakened, right? :)
>
> There's plenty of incentive for everyone who has a stake in this
> thing to ensure that paravirt performs equally to native. I do not
> see how you could be legitimately concerned about that.

Well, instead of supposedly plenty of speculative incentives in the
future i'd like to see the existing performance impact of paravirt
features to be fixed here and now, before piling up new features.
Which did not get fixed in the past two years, despite those plenty
of incentives you claim.

This is a basic engineering principle: fix up existing performance
impact before piling up more overhead.

        Ingo