[Xen-devel] Re: ocaml?? why??

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 04:08:30PM +0100, Vincent Hanquez wrote:

> >>with advanced transaction merging capability in the C version would have
> >>been a major pain, compared to how (almost) easy it was in OCaml.
> >
> >So, I'm interested: why?
> >
> The initial reason was getting rid of the on-disk database that also
> work as the mechanism for transaction  merging (a language with a GC is

Whilst I agree that xenstored's  transaction-via-cp is incredibly gross,
you can get most of the benefit with a two-line patch to move it onto
tmpfs (as we have done for quite some time).

> same thing that the ocaml code does become trivial in C. either you need
> to modify every operation to understand some kind of modification list
> so that the tree get modified only at commit time (compare to now, at
> every operations)

Well exactly. It's hot air since I haven't actually written it, but a
modification list doesn't seem particularly complex to me.

regards
john