Re: [Xen-devel] xen client initiative compile errors

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 11:41 -0400, Ben Guthro wrote:
> So...I'm trying to build the xen client initiative code found here:
> http://xenbits.xen.org/xenclient/
>
> However, I'm running into compile errors:
>  gcc -I../byterun -DCAML_NAME_SPACE -DNATIVE_CODE -DTARGET_amd64
> -DSYS_linux  -O -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REENTRANT
> -fno-stack-protector   -c -o signals_asm.o signals_asm.c
> signals_asm.c: In function 'segv_handler':
> signals_asm.c:188: error: 'REG_CR2' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> signals_asm.c:188: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
> once
> signals_asm.c:188: error: for each function it appears in.)
> signals_asm.c:194: error: 'REG_RIP' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> signals_asm.c:199: error: 'REG_R14' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> signals_asm.c:200: error: 'REG_R15' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> make[3]: *** [signals_asm.o] Error 1
>
> Am I missing something in my build environment that the configure
> scripts didn't complain about?
> I'm building on Ubuntu 8.04 (gcc 4.2.4)

It's trying to build a binary using the 32-bit uclibc targeted compiler
(from the toolchain build), but it's configured as if building for the
64 bit native environment (-DTARGET_amd64 -DSYS_linux).

I tried overriding the ARCH and SYSTEM for that target on the
appropriate make command in package/xenclient/ocaml/ocaml.mk but the
build failed later trying to run the assembler (running native vs.
toolchain version?).

At that point I punted and tried building in a 32-bit Fedora 10
environment.

It goes wrong later trying to download the version of grub specified in
target/x86/grub2/grub2.mk.  That version doesn't appear to be on the
debian mirrors anymore, so I tried the next newer version:

GRUB2_VERSION:=1.96+20090317

Everything built successfully, but then I run into problems executing
the last step of the manual install process.  The install-bootloader
script errors out running grub-install.  The grub-install command
complains

error: cannot seek `/dev/sda'
error: cannot seek `/dev/sda'
grub-probe: error: no mapping exists for `xenclient-config'

... and

stat: invalid option -- c
BusyBox v1.13.1 (2009-04-02 20:55:22 EDT) multi-call binary

Usage: stat [OPTION] FILE...

Display file (default) or filesystem status

        -f      Display filesystem status
        -L      Dereference links
        -t      Display info in terse form

I'd guess that's a problem with the different version of grub, but I
could had something else wrong too.

        /gary