Re: [Xen-devel] KXen preview now available

  • To: Christian.Limpach@xxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jun Koi <junkoi2004@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 17:00:37 +0900
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Peter Johnston <Peter.Johnston@xxxxxxxxxx>, Christian Limpach <Christian.Limpach@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 01:01:03 -0700

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Christian Limpach
<christian.limpach@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Jun Koi <junkoi2004@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Another question: what is the plan for Linux support for KXen? Will
>> that target Linux upstream and use virtops?
>
> No immediate plans.  HVM Linux works as is (with non-PAE kernel).  PV
> Linux expects to have most of a 4G virtual address space available,
> which, on a 32-bit host, is not immediately reconcilable with having
> Windows use 2G for its kernel.  I think being able to run small Linux
> service VMs might be useful, and that could maybe be done by running
> with 1.5G user space and .5G kernel space.  On a 64-bit host, things
> should be very much straightforward...

Sorry but it seems my question is not so clear. I am asking about KXen
as the hypervisor, but not about guest support.

I should restate my question as: Currently the hypervisor for Windows
OS is available for download (as XP/Vista/7 are supported). How about
the (KXen) hypervisor for Linux? When is it available? And will that
target upstream, and use virtops? And is there any significant
difference with KVM?

I guess the answer will be "that is not ready now", but some
information about future plan would be helpful.

Thanks,