Re: [Xen-devel] HVM pvops failures (one more qemu-dm.strace obtained)

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Andrew Lyon wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Jeremy Fitzhardinge writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] HVM pvops failures (one more
>>> qemu-dm.strace obtained)"):

>>> Yes, when I have a moment I'll try it myself but I've been buried in
>>> the bowels of a nightmare USB emulation.  Soon I'll know whether the
>>> latter works and thus whether I have any time to dig into pvops.
>>>
>>> Ian.
>>>

>> Has anybody made any progress on the qemu-dm / hvm issue with pv_ops?
>> I spent most of yesterday going through the strace logs but I cannot
>> see why it fails as it does.
>>

> Thanks for looking into this.  The crash is a SIGBUS in qemu, shortly after
> an mmap of /proc/xen/privcmd, which is a suspicious combination.  The SIGBUS
> means we managed to create a mapping where the kernel thinks there are no
> backing pages (at least in part).  It would be useful to know if any memory
> accesses to the privcmd mapping succeed, and what the offset of the failing
> one is.  (Assuming the SIGBUS is related to a privcmd mapping at all.)
>
> I don't think privcmd mappings can be completely broken, because the qemu
> backend for pvfb works fine, and I assume that uses that path to map the
> framebuffer...
>
> Also, have you tried using stub domains?  They should have no dependence on
> the dom0 kernel at all, so in theory they should work regardless.

I tried Stub domains yesterday but as soon as I "xm create" the system
locked up, I could still ping it but no response on the serial console
and ssh was responsive, very strange.. I've never seen a system ping
but have unresponsive console.

Can we try to debug the problem with hvm on pv_ops?

Andy