Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Continuing problems booting

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> i.e. early iomap setup is different in 32bit and 64bit.  Which would
> also explain why vgacon works just fine in 64bit mode.

I think it is something else.

arch/x86/mm/init_64.c, phys_pte_init():

        /*
         * We will re-use the existing mapping.
         * Xen for example has some special requirements, like mapping
         * pagetable pages as RO. So assume someone who pre-setup
         * these mappings are more intelligent.
         */
        if (pte_val(*pte)) {
                pages++;
                continue;
         }

I think that does also make sure vga mappings are not overwritten with
something else.  32bit seems to have no equivalent for this though ...

cheers,
  Gerd