[Xen-devel] Re: debugging Xen in a serial-less environment

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Christian Tramnitz <chris.ace@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 09:50:25 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 00:51:16 -0800

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> Does the box have AMT?  The you can use serial-over-lan.

Unfortunately it doesn't. As far as I know only vPro systems have AMT and there is no vPro chipset for Nehalem yet...

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
There's the USB debug port stuff which got added to the kernel a while ago. Looks like it shouldn't be too hard to graft into Xen.

But it seems to be a bit harder to find those dongles. It look like the only model (NET20DC) isn't RoHS compliant which explains why I don't find a place to order them in Eruope. But other than that this seems to be a good long-term alternative to a serial console. I haven't looked at the code for it in the linux kernel but does anyone know if it's required to get all the hcd and usbcore stuff loaded before being able to use the debug port? If not, whats the behaviour of the usb bus (and the debug port) when those drivers are loaded by dom0 subsequently?

Best regards,
   Christian