Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Continuing problems booting

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
Hm.  You should see "XEN PAGETABLES" in the early reservations, which
should protect them from then on.  Oh, look, its only doing it in the
64-bit setup.

I see it is fixed in latest git.

Now the i386 machine shows other issues, device drivers fail to
register, errno 38 (ENOSYS).  Huh?  Also Shift-PgUp doesn't work, which
makes me think it is an interrupt issue.  APCI-less box.  The x86_64
machine (with IO-APIC) is doing fine.

Hm. I was not really planning on supporting no-ACPI; I've only hooked acpi_register_gsi, which is called via acpi_pci_irq_enable. I guess you'd need to do something in pirq_enable_irq as well, and I'm not sure if all the stuff gets set up properly for IO_APIC_get_PCI_irq_vector to work.

I can watch the cursor moving, just no characters appear on the screen.
 Maybe some I/O port access issue?  So the color palette is foobar and
it prints black on black?

Yes, that's what I see too. I spent some time staring at the vga framebuffer mapping and I can't see anything wrong with it at all - and I think the vga code can see its own framebuffer because it actually tests to see if it can write and read back from it.

The fact that the cursor moves around suggests that IO ports are the only thing that *are* working, but perhaps the io bitmap is coming in to play (hm, there's the ring 1 vs ring 3 difference between 32 and 64 bit).

Aside from that, there's the palette, as you suggested, and the character generator might be all empty too, I guess.

Also, when I try to start X it just spins there allocating memory until everything falls over (used to crash, before the pagetable reservation fix). I'm guessing its related, but I haven't looked into it yet.