Re: [Xen-devel] VMM detection

  • To: Wu Bingzheng <wubingzheng@xxxxxxx>
  • From: Jun Koi <junkoi2004@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 11:04:22 +0900
  • Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 18:04:47 -0800

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/03/2009 03:15, "Wu Bingzheng" <wubingzheng@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> So do you mean that in HVM guest, the SGDT will get the GDT of guest, but not
>> Xen?
>>
>> It lists 17 instructions in Pentium instruction set, which is virtualization
>> sensitive
>> and unprivileged, including SGDT, at paper named
>> Analysis of the IntelPentium's Ability to Support aSecure Virtual Machine
>> Monitor
>> <http://www.usenix.org/events/sec00/full_papers/robin/robin_html/index.html>.
>> Using these instructions, we can detect VMM on a PV guest.
>>
>> I want to know if we can use these instructions to detect VMM on a HVM guest.
>
> No, they behave 'natively' when running as an HVM guest. The guest cannot
> easily tell it is running on a VMM.

It is not difficult if you look else where. For ex, HVM uses Bochs
BIOS, and that is a clear evidence.

There are already a lot of papers proved that it is impossible to hide
the fact that your machine is virtual. You can search on Usenix
website, for example.

Thanks,