Re: [Xen-devel] New heap API and scrubbing

On 10/02/2009 08:22, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> synonomous on 64-bit hypervisors?  I.e. they
>> are allocating from the same pool of pages?
>
> I thought thee was a small difference, but in looking at the code it seems
> there isn't at present. The difference I though would be there was that
> alloc_xenheap_pages() should be allowed to access MEMZONE_XEN,
> while alloc_domheap_pages() should only start allocating at MEMZONE_XEN+1.
> That way, by default Xen heap allocations would eat from the domain heap,
> but if that's empty would be allowed to fall back to the low memory portion.
> Keir?

MEMZONE_XEN is empty on ia64 and x86_64. I was considering killing it off
completely, but I haven't really thought too hard about alternatives for
i386 so I think I'll just leave it for now, vestigial for all but i386.

I hadn't considered the possibility of it having use as a last-chance
emergency pool. I'm not really sure about the value of that to be honest. I
don't think I'd bother.

 -- Keir