Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch 2 of 2]: PV-domain SMP performance Linux-part

George Dunlap wrote:
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, that's more or less right.  Each lock has a count of how many cpus are
waiting for the lock; if its non-zero on unlock, the unlocker kicks all the
waiting cpus via IPI.  There's a per-cpu variable of "lock I am waiting
for"; the kicker looks at each cpu's entry and kicks it if its waiting for
the lock being unlocked.

The locking side does the expected "spin for a while, then block on
timeout".  The timeout is settable if you have the appropriate debugfs
option enabled (which also produces quite a lot of detailed stats about
locking behaviour).  The IPI is never delivered as an event BTW; the locker
uses the event poll hypercall to block until the event is pending (this
hypercall had some performance problems until relatively recent versions of
Xen; I'm not sure which release versions has the fix).

The lock itself is a simple byte spinlock, with no fairness guarantees; I'm
assuming (hoping) that the pathological cases that ticket locks were
introduced to solve will be mitigated by the timeout/blocking path (and/or
less likely in a virtual environment anyway).

I measured a small performance improvement within the domain with this patch
(kernbench-type workload), but an overall 10% reduction in system-wide CPU
use with multiple competing domains.

This is in the pv-ops kernel; is it in the Xen 2.6.18 kernel yet?

Yes.  No plans to backport.

Another thing to consider is how the approach applies to a related
problem, that of "syncronous" IPI function calls: i.e., when v0 sends
an IPI to v1 to do something, and spins waiting for it to be done,
expecting it to be finished pretty quickly.  But v1 is over credits,
so it doesn't get to run, and v0 burns its credits waiting.

Yes. Some kind of direct yield might work in that case. In practice it hasn't been a huge problem in Linux because most synchronous IPIs are for cross-cpu TLB flushes, which we use a hypercall for anyway.