[Xen-devel] making an AMD cpu look like an Intel CPU in a DomU

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:36:42 +1100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:37:10 -0800

I don't have access to any Intel hardware I can test on, but I'd like to
look into some performance problems that people are having with my GPLPV
drivers under Windows which only seem to be reported on Intel hardware
(or maybe everyone except me is running Intel...)

Is there anything I can do via cpuid's to make Windows think it is
running on Intel hardware, or specifically to not try and do any AMD
based optimisations? I'm not sure that doing that will tell me anything,
but it should be easy enough to try. There is a "Look like a generic
686" example in xmexample.hvm, but it is broken (31 bits instead of 32
and missing register values). I think I have fixed it up but I'm not
sure...

Thanks

James