Re: [Xen-devel] pv_ops dom0 kernel failure with ata_piix

  • To: "Pasi Kärkkäinen" <pasik@xxxxxx>
  • From: "Andrew Lyon" <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 21:01:59 +0000
  • Cc: Todd Deshane <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 13:02:32 -0800

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 08:44:44AM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

>> > Yes, nosmp is known to make things worse.  It has the side-effect of
>> > disabling io_apic support, so all the interrupt stuff fails in the way
>> > you've noticed.
>> >

>> Yep. "nosmp" was just something I tried to see if it makes any difference.
>> It didn't help.
>>
>> Anyway, have you seen/heard of this problem with ata_piix earlier?
>>
>> http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/pv_ops-dom0-bootlog-1.txt
>> http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/pv_ops-dom0-bootlog-2.txt
>>
>> Same kernel on baremetal without Xen:
>> http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/baremetal-dmesg.txt
>>

> I just upgraded to newly released Xen 3.3.1 hypervisor but unfortunately it
> didn't seem to help with my problem.. I still get the exact same errors with
> ata_piix module:
>
> http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/pv_ops-dom0-bootlog-4-xen331.txt
>
> xen_allocate_pirq: returning irq 30 for gsi 18
> xen_set_ioapic_routing: irq 30 gsi 18 vector 160 ioapic 0 pin 18 triggering 0
> polarity 1
> ata_piix 0000:00:1f.1: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 30
> xen: PCI device 0000:00:1f.1 pin 1 -> irq 30
> xen: disable pci device 0000:00:1f.1
> ata_piix: probe of 0000:00:1f.1 failed with error -38

I don't think the problem is ata_piix, I've tried the pv_ops dom0
kernel on a Dell Optiplex 755 and unbranded system with gigabyte
motherboard, on both systems none of the storage devices worked,
including ahci, ata_piix, I even tried putting the root filesystem on
a usb storage device but that too is broken, I think interrupt routing
is not working at all perhaps?

I'm going to do more testing this weekend...

Andy