RE: [Xen-devel] tap:aio performance

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 22:33:58 +1100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 03:34:37 -0800

> Now that I have tap:aio working under GPLPV, I have found that the
> performance is terrible (as in something is wrong). Under any sort of
> load, the system becomes effectively frozen - block requests appear to
> be taking seconds.
>
> Currently I have up to 16 requests 'in the air' at a time... is that
too
> much for tap:aio? Is there something else I could be doing wrong?
>
> It's got me baffled at the moment...

This continues to frustrate me. I thought maybe using 'sparse' files to
back tap:aio might be causing problems so I freed up some space and
created a non-sparse file, but that didn't change anything.

The backup exec restore fly's along at about 600mb/min until it has
restored about 500mb and then it drops to about 12mb/min, and the DomU
is effectively unusable (anything that needs disk activity takes forever
to get there...). Once the restore finally cancel's (this takes a long
time too) the performance comes back to being usable.

Next I'll try it under Linux instead of GPLPV... but I can't think why
that would make a difference...

James