Re: [Xen-devel] pv_ops dom0 kernel crashes

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 11:47:40AM -0500, Todd Deshane wrote:

> > > I'm not using AHCI at all.. AHCI (SATA) controller does not have any disks
> > > plugged in.
> > >
> > > My (only) disk is attached to IDE/PATA ICH6 controller..
> > >

> > I tried disabling AHCI anyway (even when I'm not using the AHCI SATA
> > controller), but it didn't help.
> >
> > Booting the pv_ops dom0 kernel still fails.. because the IDE/PATA controller
> > still gets disabled (just like in the logs above) for some unknown reason.
> >
> > -- Pasi
>
> So from the log it looks like you are getting a hard crash?

No, it's not a hard crash.. I'm able to reboot the box with ctrl-alt-del.

> Did you try adding noreboot to the xen command line and then trying
> to get any more information with sysreq stuff?
>
> Another thing that I noticed in the log is:
>
> irq 12: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
>
> Is it an smp kernel? I had some weird problems when passing nosmp at
> one point.

Yep, it is SMP kernel..

> I don't recognize this crash, those module traces, at least for me were
> non-fatal and didn't cause a crash. I was normally just dropped to a
> initramfs prompt in the case when the disk was not detected properly.
>
> I was then able to at least look around and check that modules were
> loaded correctly etc.

The problem seems to be the IDE controller/disk is not detected at all..
because the device gets disabled for some reason during ata_piix

That is the only disk I have, so the root partition is on it.

Same kernel works just fine on baremetal without Xen.

-- Pasi