Re: [Xen-devel] Live Migration Across AMD and Intel

  • To: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 09:23:56 +0000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 01:24:01 -0800

On 2/12/08 09:05, "Igor Chubin" <igor@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello, All.
>
> Do I understand correctly:
>
> for the present it is possible to make domain live migration
> across two hosts, one of which is Intel-CPU-based and
> another is AMD-CPU-based?
>
> Does CPUID feature of Xen 3.3 permit live migration only
> between hosts with CPUs with different flags but
> produce by the same vendor?
>
> What is the difference (from domU perspective)
> between such CPUs, that prohibits live migration?

Supported instructions differ (even at the basic level of SYSENTER versus
SYSCALL in some situations). Supported architectural MSRs differ too.

Actually it could be forced to work sometimes, but it's not particularly
something we want to be claiming to support.

 -- Keir