Re: [Xen-devel] NPT and EPT question

Hi,

At 21:23 +0800 on 17 Nov (1226957017), bo ma wrote:
> Recent I read AMD specification about NPT,and met with a question about a
> sentence.
>
> The sentence is : Note that host table walks for guest page tables are
> always treated as data writes.I don't know why treated as data writes?

Possibly because the guest-table walker might have to set the A and D
bits, and the hardware doesn't know whether it will do that until
_after_ it's done the host-table walk.

Maybe someone from AMD can clarify.

> In intel EPT ,is it the same? or treated as data reads?

My impression is that EPT only requires write permissions if it actually
writes back an A or D bit, but I'm not sure.   It should be easy to check.

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Citrix Systems (R&D) Ltd.