Re: [Xen-devel] runstate_info on hvm domain

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:00:56 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 06:01:26 -0800
  • Domainkey-signature: s=s768; d=fujitsu-siemens.com; c=nofws; q=dns; h=X-SBRSScore:X-IronPort-AV:Received:X-IronPort-AV: Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:User-Agent: References:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type: Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Disposition:Message-Id; b=U+GZt+OMHUeJIUwJltif8AUhznC3+d9kFOvxRHfKGxvN61eEjV1SRPNW s6Ml+irKZ2pV6VBEgrqOE1wCHroM5WAWxw2XkLqBen1iDD87d6+ts/Cmb c8HFgOJowvQbUhq;

Am Dienstag, 11. November 2008 schrieb Dietmar Hahn:
> Hi list,
>
> I have running a hvm domU with the paravirtualized interface to xen.
> Now I'm looking for an interface to get some informations from the
> scheduler when a vcpu of my domain is running on a physical cpu and how
> long.
>
> I searched through the sources and found VCPUOP_get_runstate_info and
> VCPUOP_register_runstate_memory_area, but these hypercalls are only
> possible on pv domains.
> Are there any similar possibilities for hvm domains?
> Thanks in advance for any hints!

To have correct cpu time accounting in our BS2000 hybrid hvm domU we would
need this feature!

I looked a little bit deeper in the xen source and found that it seems
possible to use the mentioned features in a hvm domain too.

I added the hypercall HYPERCALL(vcpu_op) to the hvm_hypercall64_table[] and
hvm_hypercall32_table[] and now I could use the VCPU_OP function
VCPUOP_get_runstate_info without any problems in my hvm domain, the
hypervisor updated my runstate_info after registering with
VCPUOP_register_runstate_memory_area.
As it seems from the source there are no side effects for this 2 functions.
The memory containing the runstate_info is always in the page table, so
copy_to_guest() should not fail.

Now my question: Is there a way to get such a feature into the hypervisor,
should I send a patch, only releasing these both functions?
Thanks.

Dietmar.