[Xen-devel] Is VCPU executing inside xen?

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Tommy Huang <tommy24@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 01:11:43 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 01:12:07 -0700

Hi all,

As far as I know, vcpu can be bound to any physical cpu that you want.
My question is:

Suppose we have a dual-core machine.
1. Suppose we have the binding : vcpu1 -> phy1. If the domain which owns vcpu1 traps to xen (eg, hypercall), is it still phy1 to handle the execution inside xen? If not, how does xen select on which core it executes?

2. There is "at most" one physical core can execute inside xen. Is this statement correct or not?

3. Is it possible to tell vcpu executes on which ring? Is vcpu working inside xen or xen is transparent to vcpu?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
-JH

When your life is on the go—take your life with you. Try Windows Mobile® today