RE: [Xen-devel] cpufreq status information

  • To: "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 21:22:13 +0800
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 06:22:38 -0700

What do you mean by current state of CPU? If cpufreq is enabled,
user should be able to retrieve statistics information by sysctl
path.

>this doesn't seem
>very helpful when considering to make this functionality available to
>customers: I'm certain quite a few will ask how they can tell
>whether this
>is actually working.
>
>Now, apart from the simple job of adding a sub-hypercall to
>retrieve the
>necessary bits, I'm wondering whether this wouldn't be just one more
>element that would much better be surfaced to the guest via the vCPU
>info structure (or, as that's size constrained, a new construct to make
>guest-read-only information available via a shared page). Other
>(potential) items to make available this same way would e.g. be guest-
>accessible last-exception-from/-to MSR values (as the values read would
>be meaningless if read through rdmsr).

Not quite understand. Cpufreq is physical cpu stuff, and do you aim
to expose physical information through vcpu specific shared page?
Then that would add fixed requirement on dom0 vcpu number to
physical cpus, which is intentially avoided in current design.

I guess I may get your intent wrong though.

Thanks,
Kevin