[Xen-devel] Re: Announcing: Open OVF project source code availibility

On 12/08/08 15:46 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> Why was the Eclipse Public License chosen ?  This license is not
> compatible with the GPL[1], so no GPL licensed app can make use of
> this code :-( For example it makes it impossible to use this code to
> assist in supporting OVF in virt-manager, virt-install or virt-image
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_Public_License
>
>   "The EPL 1.0 is not compatible with the GPL, and a work created by
>    combining a work licensed under the GPL with a work licensed under
>    the EPL cannot be lawfully distributed."

As a file format, the output from open-ovf can be used by any
code of any license. That is, any code can consume an OVF file.

For runtime integration, we are planning on implementing an XML-RPC
interface into and out of the ovf library, which will allow any other
runtime code to interact with it.

Mike

--
Mike Day