[Xen-devel] Re: RFC: I/O bandwidth controller

Hi,

> > > If a resource we want to control (a block device in this case) is
> > > hot-plugged/unplugged the corresponding cgroup-related structures inside
> > > the kernel need to be allocated/freed dynamically, respectively. The
> > > problem is that this is not always possible. For example, with the
> > > current implementation of cgroups it is not possible to treat each block
> > > device as a different cgroup subsytem/resource controlled, because
> > > subsystems are created at compile time.
> >
> > The whole subsystem is created at compile time, but controller data
> > structures are allocated dynamically (i.e. see struct mem_cgroup for
> > memory controller). So, identifying each device with a name, or a key
> > like major,minor, instead of a reference/pointer to a struct could help
> > to handle this in userspace. I mean, if a device is unplugged a
> > userspace daemon can just handle the event and delete the controller
> > data structures allocated for this device, asynchronously, via
> > userspace->kernel interface. And without holding a reference to that
> > particular block device in the kernel. Anyway, implementing a generic
> > interface that would allow to define hooks for hot-pluggable devices (or
> > similar events) in cgroups would be interesting.

> > > Please note that the only thing we can do is to guarantee minimum
> > > bandwidth requirement when there is contention for an IO resource, which
> > > is precisely what a proportional bandwidth scheduler does. An I missing
> > > something?
> >
> > Correct. Proportional bandwidth automatically allows to guarantee min
> > requirements (instead of IO limiting approach, that needs additional
> > mechanisms to achive this).
> >
> > In any case there's no guarantee for a cgroup/application to sustain
> > i.e. 10MB/s on a certain device, but this is a hard problem anyway, and
> > the best we can do is to try to satisfy "soft" constraints.
>
> I think guaranteeing the minimum I/O bandwidth is very important. In the
> business site, especially in streaming service system, administrator requires
> the functionality to satisfy QoS or performance of their service.
> Of course, IO throttling is important, but, personally, I think guaranteeing
> the minimum bandwidth is more important than limitation of maximum bandwidth
> to satisfy the requirement in real business sites.
> And I know Andreaâs io-throttle patch supports the latter case well and it is
> very stable.
> But, the first case(guarantee the minimum bandwidth) is not supported in any
> patches.
> Is there any plans to support it? and Is there any problems in implementing
> it?
> I think if IO controller can support guaranteeing the minimum bandwidth and
> work-conserving mode simultaneously, it more easily satisfies the requirement
> of the business sites.
> Additionally, I didnât understand âProportional bandwidth automatically
> allows
> to guarantee min
> [...]

I think this is what dm-ioband does.

Let's say you make two groups share the same disk, and give them
70% of the bandwidth the disk physically has and 30% respectively.
This means the former group is almost guaranteed to be able to use
70% of the bandwidth even when the latter one is issuing quite
a lot of I/O requests.

Yes, I know there exist head seek lags with traditional magnetic disks,
so it's important to improve the algorithm to reduce this overhead.

And I think it is also possible to add a new scheduling policy to
guarantee the minimum bandwidth. It might be cool if some group can
use guranteed bandwidths and the other share the rest on proportional
bandwidth policy.

Thanks,
Hirokazu Takahashi.