[Xen-devel] Re: Xen performance and Dbench

  • To: "dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 18:55:37 -0400
  • Cc: "Xen-Devel \(E-mail\)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:55:59 -0700

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Dan Magenheimer
<dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, Anthony, very illuminating.  However one would
> expect that the 1-cpu measurement would be about one-half
> of the 2-cpu measurement, not closer to one-fourth (27%),
> true?  So even if the methodology is bad, the results
> may still be indicating something wrong that should
> be looked at?
>
> Todd, the references you provide are several years and
> several versions of Xen old.  Have you seen any Xen
> dbench results on a more recent Xen version?  While
> I agree that dbench might not be the best benchmark
> in the world, if some customers use and believe it
> (or, worse, believe the OLS paper), it would be nice
> to be able to set the record straight.

I don't know of anything on dbench and Xen.

I don't think it would be too hard to try to re-run their Xen
dbench numbers. We could then not make the mistakes
that Anthony pointed out.

More investigation is definitely needed.

Cheers,
Todd