[Xen-devel] Re: Too many I/O controller patches

Hi,

> > > The avoid-lots-of-page-dirtying problem sounds like a hard one.  But, if
> > > you look at this in combination with the memory controller, they would
> > > make a great team.
> > >
> > > The memory controller keeps you from dirtying more than your limit of
> > > pages (and pinning too much memory) even if the dm layer is doing the
> > > throttling and itself can't throttle the memory usage.
> >
> > mmh... but in this way we would just move the OOM inside the cgroup,
> > that is a nice improvement, but the main problem is not resolved...
> >
> > A safer approach IMHO is to force the tasks to wait synchronously on
> > each operation that directly or indirectly generates i/o.
>
> Fine in theory, hard in practice. :)
>
> I think the best we can hope for is to keep parity with what happens in
> the rest of the kernel.  We already have a problem today with people
> mmap()'ing lots of memory and dirtying it all at once.  Adding a i/o
> bandwidth controller or a memory controller isn't really going to fix
> that.  I think it is outside the scope of the i/o (and memory)
> controllers until we solve it generically, first.

Yes, that's right. This should be solved.

But there is a good thing when you use a memory controller.
A problem occurred in a certain cgroup will be confined in its cgroup.
I think this is a great point, don't you think?

Thank you,
Hirokazu Takahashi.