[Xen-devel] confusion about the meaning of CONFIG_XEN

hi all,
  I noticed "CONFIG_XEN" appears many times in Xen source code. I'm confused
about the meaning of "CONFIG_XEN".
  For example,
    in "gnttab.c", the definations of gnttab_map() and gnttab_resume() vary
with "ifdef CONFIG_XEN" or not.
    And I also noticed ifndef CONFIG_XEN , the file <platform-pci.h> is
included.

  So my questions are
  1)What's the meanning of CONFIG_XEN?  and on which kind of conditions,
CONFIG_XEN should not be defined?
  2)What is platform-pci for?

  Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.