[Xen-devel] Booting from a Backup Exec IDR CD

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 20:47:16 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 03:47:38 -0700

I posted a while back about trying to boot with the 'baremetal restore'
CD created by Backup Exec's Intelligent Disaster Recovery process.

On a physical machine, it prompts the user with a bright purple screen
that describes what is going to happen if the user proceeds.

Under Xen HVM I just got a bright purple screen with a few random
characters, some flashing, and some messages in 'xm dmesg'. At the time
the response from the list was that the version of Xen I was using
(3.1/3.2) might not be emulating the real mode instructions properly.

I've just upgraded to Debian's 3.3-unstable which claims to be at
changeset 17879, and it doesn't appear to be any better, although there
are no messages in 'xm dmesg'. I can't see any hg commits since 17879
that might resolve the problem so I think the version I am using is late
enough.

So... how might I debug this further? The bootsector is only 2048 bytes
so if someone wanted to take a look I don't think the copyright owners
would mind if I sent it to them privately.

Thanks

James