[Xen-devel] Network Packet Flow in HVM

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Abhinav Srivastava <abhinavs_iitkgp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 09:50:08 +0530 (IST)
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 31 May 2008 21:20:33 -0700

Hi there,

I am working on a project in which I have to track a packet flow from dom0 to
domU. I know how this is done in case of Paravirtualized (PV) guest
domain. In case of PV's split model, dom0 (backend) and domU (frontend) share
I/O channel that is setup during the domU boot and it is used to copy packets
between two domains.

In case of HVM domain, there is no shared memory between dom0 and domU then how
this packet copying is being performed?  I know QEMU-dm is being used in dom0
to emulate the network interface for domU.

If there is no memory then how domU get packets from dom0 and vice-versa? Does
Xen pass actual packet from dom0 to domU which is very costly?

It would be really helpful if you could let me know exact packet flow as it
would help me understand the networking subsystem. I tried finding some
document but there are no publicly availabe documents that describe network
virtualization and packet flow in case of HVM domain.

I would really appreciate your reply and pointers.

Thanks,
Abhinav

      Share files, take polls, and make new friends - all under one roof. Go to
http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/