Re: [Xen-devel] [patch]Add a new reboot method

>>> Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 29.05.08 12:26 >>>
>> New chipsets support a new reboot method by writing port 0xcf9,
>
>Some new chipsets. What 0xcf9 does to others is undefined.
>
>> sometimes this is more efficient than "keyboard controller reboot" and
>> "triple fault reboot". This patch add this new method and use it as a
>> preferable one.
>
>Who cares ?

There really is some point here I think, though so far I've not seen Xen
to be affected: Linux post 2.6.22 (iirc) fails to reboot my Dell Precision
490 correctly, I have to force it to use the CF9 method. I tried looking
into the changes that got made in that area, but wasn't able to (spend
enough time to) pin-point the problem so far.

But I also agree to you and Keir that blindly writing to a port is no good
idea. It should at least be assured that hardware supports this.

Jan