Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] [xen-unstable] i386: Removenon-PAE hypervisor build target.

>>> Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 08.05.08 22:04 >>>
>On 8/5/08 20:05, "John Levon" <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:50:18AM -0700, Xen patchbot-unstable wrote:
>>
>>> i386: Remove non-PAE hypervisor build target.
>>
>> Can you explain this a bit further?
>
>It hasn't been regularly tested for some time, it is not shipped by any
>vendor afaik,

We are just about to ship 3.2.0 including non-PAE support in SLE10 SP2.
While I'm unsure about version updates for future service packs (this
simply hasn't been decided yet), we'll definitely have to maintain non-PAE
for the life time of SLE10, so a step like this makes our life harder.

>and all guest ports with a significant ongoing development
>effort behind them now support PAE and/or 64-bit modes. Further, a test of
>the waters on xen-devel back in March did not elicit much of a response in
>support of non-pae. Removing it gets rid of a column on the test matrix (a
>column which isn't tested by anyone anyway) and goes some way to reduce our
>ifdef maze in many memory-management source files.

Regardless of my comment above, I understand all this, and it is for the
same reason that we decided to drop non-PAE support for future products.

Jan