Re: [Xen-devel] unmodified_drivers for linux-2.4 kernel

The sytem I am trying to get the unmodified_drivers to work on is actually a custom linux distribution based on the 2.4.34 linux kernel with several other patches applied to it.  I have already investigated trying to apply the xen patches to the kernel itself, and the patches conflict with the grsecurity and/or openswan patches.  So, in the meantime I have been running the machine as a pure HVM, but I am looking for ways to increase it's performance.

If there is anything that I can do to help with this project, just let me know, and I will help out to the best of my ability.

Ben Guthro wrote:
Re-send, now that the list is back up.
These patches were originally developed for RHEL3-U8... I'm not sure
what the differences are for CentOS5. I'm sure it would take a bit of
development to get them working.

The guys over at RedHat had said they were planning on releasing a
pv-on-hvm driver kit for older RHEL versions...but I'm not sure what the
status is on these.

However - you are not the first person to inquire about these patches -
indicating that there is a real desire to support 2.4 kernels.

Keir - you had originally rejected these patches for various reasons.
Have any other solutions been proposed that you find more acceptable?

Ben Guthro

Michael Williams wrote:

> I need help trying to compile the unmodified_driver tree for use on a
> HVM linux-based pc running kernel 2.4.34.  I found this  (
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-12/msg00719.html
> ) thread and it seems that these patches are what I need, but I cannot
> get them to compile on my machine.  If Ben Guthro or anyone else who
> was able to successfully use these patches could tell me what I need
> to do to compile them, I would be very appreciative.
>
> My xen version is 3.1.0-53.1.14  (CentOS 5).
>
> Any and all help is appreciated.
>
> ~Michael Williams

believed to be clean.