Re: [Xen-devel] physmap deallocation on balloon?

  • To: mhines@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: weiming <zephyr.zhao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 20:52:03 -0400
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 17:52:30 -0700

Hi,

I guess it's possible but the effect might be not obvious. When you shrink the reservation by one page (4K), you just save one entry.

And currently, ballooning works as a kernel module which, from kernel's perspective, just simple allocates / frees pages. It makes the code simple and easier. Resizing the mapping table complicates it. And you'd better keep the table contiguous. It's nasty.

Just my 2 cents. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Weiming