Re: [Xen-devel] Windows Bug Check 0x101 issue

Alan Cox writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Windows Bug Check 0x101 issue"):
> [...]  if you can't properly
> emulate reporting block numbers back then you need to offline the virtual
> device.

I've been reading the ATA-7 spec and I'm afraid it's not clear to me
what options are open to the emulation in this situation.  Setting DF
(device fault) is still no good as the spec clearly indicates that we
should still have correct LBA offsets and retry behaviour.

I can't see an approach that isn't a violation of the ATA spec.  So
having decided to violate it, perhaps the right answer is to make the
disk simply vanish: ignore all future command writes, zero all of the
registers that the host is attempting to read, not issue an interrupt,
and somehow discard the responses from any overlapped IO which is in
flight.

Is that what you meant by `offline the virtual device' ?

Ian.