Re: [Xen-devel] Swapping of PT pages

  • To: "Mike Sun" <msun@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "pradeep singh rautela" <rautelap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 02:14:32 +0530
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:44:59 -0800

On 20/02/2008, Mike Sun <msun@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi --
>
> In examining the domain save/migration code (xc_domain_save.c), I came
> across the step in which page table page frames in memory are
> canonicalized so that mfns are translated to pfns before those pages
> are written out to the saved image/destination host.  This makes me
> wonder if a PV host is allowed to swap out page table pages if it so

I suspect Xen translates the mfns of the PV guests PT pages to
equivalent pfns before they can be actually swapped out on to a
physical disk.

May be I am wrong i guess as i do not have the source handy at the moment.

Please CMIIW.

Thanks,

> decided; if swapping of PT pages were allowed, then wouldn't certain
> page table pages not be canonicalized (since they would be on disk,
> not in any of the machine frames).  This obviously be bad.
>
> Am I understanding things incorrectly?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Pradeep Singh Rautela