[Xen-devel] Re: Qemu vnc color depth

Stefano Stabellini wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
We can use the existing space for gtk-vnc although VMware actually already has an extension to support server initiated pixel format changes. See http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=VMNC

The extension is VMVi (display mode change). I would much rather just implement that in QEMU and in gtk-vnc.

This would also count in my mind as finally fixing SetPixelFormat since a client could rely on getting the DisplayModeChange message before the server starts using the new pixel format.

I have given a look at WMVi: the message format is fine as it is identical to the PIXEL_FORMAT part of the ServerInit message. However I couldn't see the pseudo encoding number or any client side implementation. I think they used WMVi as part of their format to record AVI videos and not as a VNC protocol extension.

We can use the message format they proposed, but we need also a proper pseudo encoding number. Then we'll send "DisplayModeChange" messages as 1 rectangle framebuffer updates. 0x574D5669

The encoding number they use is 0x574D5669 and it is registered in the latest RFB spec.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori