Re: [Xen-devel] building xen without mercury repository access

  • To: Guillaume Rousse <Guillaume.Rousse@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 19:08:14 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 11:08:18 -0800

On 5/2/08 17:54, "Guillaume Rousse" <Guillaume.Rousse@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just tried to update mandriva xen package. I noticed the build
> procedure changed since 3.1.0: instead of downloading pristine kernel
> sources, and patching them locally, the makefile now directly fetches
> modified kernel from xen mercury repository.

Yes, that's right. Preferably the repository linux-2.6.18-xen.hg is placed
adjacent (at same directory level) to your xen repository.

> And even if a working
> directory exists, it apparently still attempts to sync it before
> building... Which is quite curious for a tagged release (but I may have
> misunderstood the process).

Not sure what you mean. We don't automatically 'hg pull' in the Linux
directory to pull upstream patches down, or anything like that.

There is no tag in the linux-2.6.18-xen.hg because guest development is now
divorced from the core Xen release process. Xen releases comprise hypervisor
and tools only. The point being that the big vendors are now maintaining
their own Xen patchsets against whatever Linux version they like. If you do
not want to do that then actually linux-2.6.18-xen.hg is pretty stable
anyway.

> As our packages are supposed to be self-contained, I need to download
> once for all the xenified kernel sources. What command should I run ?
> Running "sh buildconfigs/select-repository linux-2.6.18-xen.hg .:.." in
> the top-level directory, as suggested by makefile, fails miserabily:
> select-repository: Searching `.:..' for linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
> select-repository: Ignoring `.'
> not found!
> select-repository: Unable to determine Xen repository parent.

 # hg clone -r RELEASE-3.2.0 http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-3.2-testing.hg
 # hg clone -r 406 http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
 # cd xen-3.2-testing.hg && make -j8 world

 -- Keir