[Xen-devel] Debian kernel doesn't support DomU bit width != Dom0 bit width for PV drivers?

  • To: "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 09:25:27 +1100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:25:55 -0800

In trying to figure out why my Xen Windows PV drivers don't work
properly when the frontend and backend are different bit width modes (eg
32, 64), I figured out that the same is true for Linux domains. I tested
a 32 bit DomU with a 64 bit Dom0, and get a crash almost as soon as the
blkfront driver is started, and a "(XEN) grant_table.c:264:d0 Bad flags
(0) or dom (0). (expected dom 0)" message logged in 'xm dmesg'.

My suspicion then is that the Debian kernel's blkback driver doesn't pay
attention to the 'protocol' set by the frontend, even though blkfront
driver included in the Debian kernel does actually set it.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour?

Thanks

James