Re: [Xen-devel] mapping of memory below 16Mb

  • To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:26:38 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:27:21 -0800

On 24/1/08 15:15, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One point I got a little surprised about while doing the 1Gb page support:
> The 1:1 mapping of the low 16 Mb (and most significantly the first Mb)
> created at boot time is being retained permanently. Shouldn't Xen be
> following the E820 map also for this memory range (by either not
> mapping non-RAM at all or at best mapping them UC/WP)?

Below 1MB is a special case, and 1MB-16MB we're dodging BIOS tables, not
actual hardware. At least this is the case for all system I know about. If
there are exceptions which we care about, then we can try harder. Otherwise
that code is quite complicated enough as it is.

> The WP attribute raises another question: Are there any plans to make
> Xen use PAT rather than (relying on) MTRRs? Linux folks seem to be
> finally getting closer to this, too, so even virtual PAT support may be
> needed in not too distant future...

We already support PAT for both PV guests and HVM guests.

 -- Keir