Re: [Xen-devel] [Fwd: [Xen-users] two serial port in HVM DomU patch]

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:46:20PM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> Ah, this is a nice way that continues to support the existing domain config
> format. I'd still also like a dm_args config option too though! Really many
> of the HVM-specific config options could be deprecated and moved over to a
> single dm_args config field.

No no no, please no. The current scheme is good because there are clear
key,value pairs for each individual configuration option. A generic blob
of dm_args will be a huge PITA to deal with, making a mockery of the
attempt at clearly modelling guest config params in XenAPI, as well as the
legacy config formats. It will also increase the divergance in the way
HVM guests are configured vs paravirt guests if we start to shove all the
HVM args into 'dm_args' rather than representing them in a way which works
well for both HVM and PV domains.

Dan.