Re: [Xen-devel] Problems "upgrading" 3.1 to 3.2?

Hi Dan,

> I have a 3.1-based system (OracleVM actually) and am trying to build/run
> xen-unstable on it (c/s 16618). From xen-unstable.hg, I am doing a "make
> distclean", then building and installing normally (plus normal depmod,
> mkinitrd, cp initrd, and grub.conf changes).  However when I reboot, xend
> won't run.  /var/log/xen/xend-debug.log says:
>
>   sysctl operation failed -- need to rebuild the user-space tool set?
>   Exception starting xend: (13, 'Permission denied')
>
> Another "make install" and reboot still doesn't fix the problem.
>
> I can build and run xen-unstable on another system with a fresh install
> with no xen, so I don't think it's pilot error.
>
> Anybody else try "upgrading" and run into similar probs?  My xend is
> definitely the new one from xen-unstable, so I'm thinking there must be
> some leftover 3.1 residue messing things up.

Yeah, it'll be some kind of "residue" problem.  Unfortunately there's not a
particularly clean way to uninstall Xen.

You could try removing /usr/lib/libxen* and /usr/lib/python/xen and then
reinstalling the tools.  Does that help?

Otherwise, I'm afraid you're going to need to keep hunting down Xen-installed
binaries until the problem goes away :-(

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!