Re: [Xen-devel] RE: GPL Win PV driver issues

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 08:42:49PM +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:

> Luciano Rocha schreef:
> > As the emulated devices are well understood (and there's QEMU's source),
> > would this be hard to do?
>
> Do you mean something like a 'fallback' method? Or more something like
> provide the options in your configuration file, and if they are not
> present don't create the devices?

Let's see if I can make it clear:

I'm not sure of the current type of devices emulated by qemu, but lets
suppose PIIXn for hard-disks/cdroms and ne2k for network.

What I suggest is develop drivers for windows for those devices. The
drivers would work with bare hardware, but when running under Xen (how
to check that, I currently don't know), it would inform the
hypervisor/dom0 that it will switch then to the fast-path method
(ring-buffers, direct hypercalls, etc., instead of emulated PIO).

So there would be no need to hide the "qemu" devices, nor toggle
switches for when the para-virtualized drivers are installed or not.

--
lfr
0/0