Re: [Xen-devel] sharing file between running domU (windowxp) and dom0

  • To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Pradeep Singh <rautelap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 02:39:36 +0530
  • Cc: rajneesh rana <rajneeshrana009@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 13:10:36 -0800

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:41:32 +0000
Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi there,
Hello Mark,

[snip]
> > Mark,I guess i understood your point here.
> > My question is what about cluster filesystems like GFS or OCFS2.

[...]
> Most other filesystems have no concept of writes happening "behind
> their back" so they can't be used in this way.  In additon to what I
> said earlier, please note that it's not just having multiple writers
> to an FS that's dangerous. Even if you have the disk mounted
> read-only in one domain when you write to it in another, you're
> liable to cause that domain to read corrupted data and possibly crash.
[...]
> > FWIW how is XenFS different from OCFS2 and GFS?
>
> XenFS is more like a network filesystem than a disk filesystem.  The
> data is stored by a "normal" filesystem and XenFS exports that
> filesystem.  The difference from a network filesystem is that it uses
> shared memory instead of IP.
XenFS looks like an interesting prospect.Shared memory instead of
network perhaps will mean better speed.Any repository where i can have
a look at its source?Can i employ it on my Xen machine or is it still
under development?

Thanks for explaining things lucidly and for your patience.

Cheers,
        Pradeep
[...]

--
heh...people do try to read my signature.

http://eagain.wordpress.com
http://emptydomain.googlepages.com