[Xen-devel] Question about x86_compat

  • To: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: beth kon <eak@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 21:56:26 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 18:56:46 -0800

arch_setup_meminit ignores the return code from x86_compat. Is this intentional? I see that the message printed in x86_compat is a warning if the do_domctl fails, so assume ignoring the return code in arch_setup_meminit may be intentional. If so, what does this imply when a 32 bit guest attempts to start on a 64 bit machine?

I followed up the call chain from x86_compat (trying to understand its intent) and it appears to be a pretty integral part of creating any domain, so I assume that XEN_DOMCTL_set_address_size is the call that actually specifies to Xen whether a domain is 32 or 64? So if that call fails, is the domain just set to be the machine's native size by default? But what would that mean for a 32 on 64 guest?

I hope my questions are clear. This area is a little muddy for me. Thanks!

--
Elizabeth Kon (Beth)
IBM Linux Technology Center